When times are challenging a little support can go a long way. As an academy we can support families and pupils further with ensuring they receive Free School Meals, should they meet the eligibility criteria.
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child might be eligible if you receive one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
If you have previously qualified for Free School Meals at primary school you will still need to reapply for your child/children to continue receiving them from September 2022.
To submit an application for Free School Meals and find out if you are eligible please follow the link below:
What is Pupil Premium funding?
Pupil premium funding from the Government is given to schools to invest in additional resources to help pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
This extra money could make a real difference to the resources we can purchase as an Academy. For example, we’ve previously used pupil premium funding for:
- Educational provision/resources
- Financial support towards trips, clubs and music tuition
- Academic interventions
- 1-1 and small group tutoring tutoring
- Wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions
- Additional sports clubs and equipment
- Uniform costs
If your child(ren) is a pupil premium student and you need support with uniform, the academy supports families by providing a blazer and tie for their child(ren). If this applies to you, then please contact the office firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Financial Support
During these unprecedented circumstances some of our families are finding themselves facing a different financial outlook than expected. Some families may now be eligible for alternative benefits and you can check this out on getting financial advice.
Vice Principal | Head of Turing College